Sweet Vinegar Aubergines
2 Aubergines (eggplants)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
5 Tablespoons Odysea Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
3 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Odysea Pine & Fir Tree Raw Honey or maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cornflour dissolved in 100ml water to a paste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the flavoured yoghurt
1 x 180g Jar of artichoke purée; or 3 artichoke hearts in 2 tablespoons of the oil, blitzed in a blender until smooth
2 Tablespoons pomegranate seeds
A few basil leaves, torn
Drizzle of Odysea Pomegranate Molasses
Warmed flat breads or cooked basmati rice
- Top and tail the aubergines and slice them lengthways in half.
Slice each half into 3 long strips. Score shallow cuts at 3cm (11/4in)
intervals along the length to allow the flavour to find its way in.
- Make the flavoured yoghurt. Mix together the artichoke purée and
yoghurt in a large mixing bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When hot, place
the aubergines flesh downwards in the pan and cook for 5–6 minutes,
until the flesh side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together the vinegar, soy sauce and maple
syrup or honey and set aside.
- Carefully flip the aubergines and cook for a further 5–6 minutes to
brown the other side. Take care not to burn them – if the pan is too
hot, reduce the heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper. Pour
the vinegar mixture over the aubergines and cook for 1–2 minutes.
Add the cornflour paste and allow the mixture to thicken and become
rich and sticky (2–3 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- Divide the flavoured yoghurt equally between 2 serving plates,
spreading it out into a layer. Top with equal amounts of the hot
aubergines, then serve sprinkled with the pomegranate seeds,
basil and molasses, and with warmed flat breads or basmati rice.