Preserved Lemon, Feta and Za’atar Twists
1 x 320g Sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
100g Odysea Feta, crumbled
50g Crème fraîche
2 Tablespoons chilli paste
1 Teaspoon chilli flakes
2 Odysea Preserved Beldi Lemons, blized or finely chopped
1 Egg, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons za’atar, plus extra to finish
For the dip:
3 Tablespoons full-fat natural yoghurt
1 Tablespoon chilli paste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas 6.
- Unroll your pastry on to a baking tray, leaving the baking paper it’s
wrapped in underneath. With a longest edge closest to you, use
a sharp knife to slice the pastry sheet in half top to bottom.
- In a bowl whisk together the feta, crème fraîche, chilli paste, chilli
flakes and blitzed preserved lemons until combined. Spoon the
mixture on to one of the cut pastry sheets and spread it out evenly
using the back of the spoon. Place the other half of the pastry on top,
and cut the pastry sandwich, top to bottom, into approximately
2.5cm (1in) strips to give 4–6 strips altogether.
- Holding both the top and bottom of each filled pastry strip, turn one
end a couple of times, until you get the signature twist. Return each
twisted strip to the lined baking tray.
- Combine the beaten egg and the za’atar in a bowl to create a wash.
Brush the strips with the wash, then bake for 25–30 minutes, until
crisp and golden brown.
- While the twists are baking, make the dip by simply mixing together
the yoghurt and chilli paste in a bowl.
- Remove the twists from the oven, then finish with an extra dusting
of za’atar. Serve with the dip alongside.