BULGUR, WALNUT AND SPINACH PILAF WITH ROAST TOMATOES
150ml olive oil
300g onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
50g butter, cut into small pieces and keep it refrigerated
400ml hot chicken stock
100g walnuts, crushed
250g spinach, washed and finely shredded
200g sun drenched tomatoes
70g mint, finely chopped
½ teaspoon of freshly ground cinnamon
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and black pepper
- In a heavy bottomed casserole, sauté the chopped onions with the olive oil.
- When the onion is soft and translucent, add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Tip the bulgur wheat into the casserole; pour in the stock, and season. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let the bulgur simmer in the stock for about 15 minutes.
- All the stock will have been absorbed by then. Spread over the bulgur surface the butter pieces, sprinkle the crushed walnuts and cinnamon, cover the pot and let the bulgur sit to fluff up for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork the bulgur wheat, layer it in a shallow bowl, and sprinkle on half of the mint, then the shredded spinach, and tomatoes, then the rest of the mint.
- Drizzle some lemon juice and serve.