A classic Greek dip widely used in Greece as a sauce for souvlaki and kebab
Tzatziki is quick and very easy to make, it’s particularly good with lamb and works really well served with beetroot or stuffed vine leaves.
Simply serve as a dip with some pita bread and olives or as part of a meze selection.
2 large garlic cloves (or 4 small cloves)
500g Greek strained yoghurt
1 large cucumber
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
- Wash and coarsely grate the cucumber.
- Put the grated cucumber in a fine sieve and squeeze out as much liquid as you can, leave in the sieve to drain while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Combine the garlic, yoghurt and olive oil then mix until the oil is blended with the yoghurt, add the vinegar and salt.
- Add the cucumber and mix through.
- Cover and refrigerate before serving for a few hours or preferably overnight.