SHROVE TUESDAY PANCAKES
Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday is the best excuse to enjoy piles of fluffy round pancakes. It’s worth remembering that Shrove Tuesday marks the day before the begining of Lent when it’s traditional for Christians to use up foods like butter, eggs & sugar before the long fasting period starts.
There are endless variations for pancake recipes but we’ve chosen to go with a classic fail-proof one that makes perfectly light, pillowy little stacks, using olive oil instead of butter.
- First mix the dry ingredients: in a large bowl, sift the flour, add the salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together: whisk the eggs with the milk, adding a splash of vanilla essence and the olive oil.
- Incorporate the liquid mixture in the large bowl of flour.
- To cook, heat up a nonstick medium sized frying pan. Use a ladle to scoop out the batter and cook the pancakes on medium heat for approx. 1 minute on each side.
- Serve hot with fresh berries, honey or rich date syrup.
Find more of your favourite pancake toppings.