Greek-Spiced Game Hen with Clementine, Artichokes and Olives
Published: 01st June 2010
You will need: 33cm x 22cm baking tin
- Appox 680g (1 ½ lbs) Game Hen, such as Guinea Fowl (You can always substitute this with a free-range chicken).
- 170g Karyatis Artichokes Halves
- 25g Pitted Green Olives
- 2 tsp Greek Spice Blend – a combination of dried onions, dried garlic, dried oregano and dried mint in equal quantities
- 2 Small Clementines
- ¼ Glass Dry White Wine
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 230°C/ Gas Mark 8
- Sprinkle the game hen (or chicken) with salt and pepper. Loosen the skin and rub the spice blend between the meat and the skin.
- Slice unpeeled clementines crosswise. Arrange clementines, artichoke halves with liquid from the jar and olives in a single layer in the baking tin. Pace hen on top of the clementine mixture.
- Roast until golden brown and cooked thoroughly (approx 1 hour 15 mins – 1 hour 30 mins). Brush bird with pan juices and leave to rest for a few minutes. Transfer ½ of the hen to each of the 2 plates.
- Place baking tin on gas/electric hob on a medium heat. Spoon off the excess fat. Add the wine to clementine mixture. Cook gently until liquid is reduced to ¼ cup – this should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over halves of the hen. Spoon clementine mixture alongside the meat and serve.